By Jennifer Conway, MS, CSCS, RCEP
Resident Wellness Coordinator
The Becoming Center, a service of Liberty Lutheran, is committed to the health and wellness of older adults. Please join us Thursday, May 29, 2014 for Senior Fitness Testing! The Senior Fitness Test is offered yearly at the Becoming Center in May in celebration of National Senior Health and Fitness Day and recognition of Older Americans Month.
The Senior Fitness Test is a way for the Becoming Center’s trained professionals to obtain valuable information about your physical abilities, so we can better help you lead a healthy lifestyle. The test was developed by experts at the California State University’s Center for Successful Aging to build personalized programs for older adults that are geared toward the areas that need improvement, as well as motivate and help set goals. It can also be used to help us develop new programming for The Becoming Center’s group classes. All tests are standardized to allow us to compare your scores to nationally-rated scores for your gender and age group. This allows you to see if you are above or below standards.
The Senior Fitness test includes the following stations:
- Height and Weight: This gives us a Body Mass Index (BMI) score that determines if you are at a healthy weight.
- Blood Pressure and Heart Rate: This is an indicator of cardiovascular health.
- 30-Second Chair Stand: Tests leg strength.
- 30-Second Arm Curl: Tests arm strength.
- 2-Minute Step: Tests endurance.
- Chair Sit and Reach: Tests leg flexibility.
- Back Scratch: Tests shoulder range of motion.
- 8-Foot Up & Go: Tests balance, mobility and fall risk.
You will be given a copy of your results, which includes explanations of each tests and recommendations on how to improve your scores.
Senior Fitness Testing is free and open to Becoming Center members and the community. Registration is required. Testing takes about 30 minutes. Participants should wear comfortable clothes and sneakers.
Senior Fitness Testing at the Becoming Center
Thursday, May 29, 2014, 9am-2pm
Call 215-643-9908 to schedule your test today!